Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Snow Day

By Natasha Cowie
Boulder Colorado

Yesterday was the Colorado State Cross Championships in Lyons. It was essentially forty-five minutes of utter stupidity, plus warmup time, although it totally wasn't warmup. It was more like, hey, I'm already dumb enough to be out here in fourteen degrees racing my bike, why don't I ride around for another hour first in order to bring my core body temperature down about fifty degrees and make sure that I feel like I've been sitting in liquid nitrogen. And then I'll claw my way across the frozen tundra to the start line and stand there for another five minutes so that hypothermia can fully set in before the announcer yells go and everybody immediately runs into each other.


Jen and Amy demonstrate race preparation.

The pictures tell everything. Thanks to Chellie and Jim (Tim) and Beth for taking them and for being great great cheerers and cow bell ringers. I would tag your blogs here as a token of my gratitude, except that as I mentioned last post, I do not know how to tag other people's blogs in my own, and this probably makes me an inferior life form. I mean, Amy probably thinks it does, but then she's always damaging my self-esteem anyway, and trying to steal my wheels and stuff. sniff. You're so mean Amy.


So, this is what I wore.

It took approximately 52 minutes and two mugs of ovaltine (the classic chocolate malt flavour, in the orange container) to put all this on, and by the time I was finished dressing, I had to pee. It was a long morning.

It takes work to look like a seductive doofus.


And then we raced through the playground from hell frozen over.



A Gaggle o' Bellas

So snowy.

Then the race was over, and Amy won some badass socks and a silver medal. Jen tried to steal the entire stack of gold medals, which is as good as winning them if you can get away with it. Everybody hallucinated the whole way home. And the best part! After the race we had snacktime!

Thanks again to everybody who cheered and took pictures. and way to represent Bellas. we had Shannon G, Mo, Amy, Jen, and me. The flair was taking over the field.

Hey, it totally wasn't cold enough. Time to head to Kansas City for the nationals afterparty.

Oh, I think there's a race there too.

1 Comments:

At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home