Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bella Training Camp, day 2,3,4


by Tracie


We rode, ate, and rode some more.

It was cold, but sunny, and the routes were beautiful (well, except for Sunday – sorry – there was nothing beautiful about Sunday). In terms of conversation, I think we did some real bonding:

It’s 9:30 as we pile into the car to head down to the ride.

Teammate: Well (glancing at car thermometer), it’s 27 degrees.

Me: That is cold. That’s like, five jerseys and two pairs of shorts cold.

Silence as we watch our breath puff-puff through the air.

It’s 9:35.

Teammate: Well, it’s up to 31 degrees.

Me: That is cold. That’s like, still less than freezing. That’s like, so cold that your snot freezes on its way down your face.

Teammate: That’s like, four jerseys and a vest and thermal leg warmers cold.

It’s 9:37

Teammate: We’re up to 32!

It’s 9:38

Teammate: No, wait, 33!

It’s 9:49 and we pull into the ride start parking lot.

Me: Hey it looks like we’ve hit 40 degrees!

Teammate: 40 degrees is still pretty damn cold.

Me: What is that, like a couple base layers and a thermal jersey and a jacket?

Teammate: Well, the other day when I left work it was 39 degrees and I wore this-this-and-that.

Me: Yeah but it’s one degree warmer now.

Teammate: Yeah but it’s not as windy.

Me: Yeah but we might have to go down some descents.

I put on my kit.

Teammate: You’re wearing ARM WARMERS too??

Me: Wait, you’re not?

Teammate: Well I dunno, if you are then maybe I should.

Me: Well, I just thought if it gets warm I can always take them off.

Teammate: Oh. But what if it warms up a lot?

Me: I don’t know. Hey, it looks like teammate-over-there is wearing a thermal vest.

Teammate: Oh CRAP. I don’t have a thermal vest.

Me: Me neither. Maybe I could wear two normal vests?

3 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

we missed your ride reports tracie, nice to have you back.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

word

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger manda said...

40 degrees is:
shorts, leg warmers, base layer, 'warm-ish' jersey, arm warmers, patagonia ready mix jacket. $2 drug store gloves under fingerless bike gloves

30 degrees is:
same as above, but with wool socks and my windproof, waterproof skateboard jacket. and some other pants/tights over shorts.

wussy californians...;) </irony>

-ex-oakland grrl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home