Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Mt.Ham classic - My first race ever

by Elizabeth Traver

I achieved my goal which was to simply finish -- I don't want to give excuses , or at least not too many but I did have a lot going against me (heavy ass bike is definitely one of them). The race was 38 miles long with 2200' feet of climbing and I finished it in about 2h15m ... I know for a lot of you this probably seems slow but for me it's astonishing and I'm proud of myself, or should I say I am proud of my legs.

The race started at 8:45, we left the house at 7:15 and I thought it would take 45 minutes or so to get there, giving me plenty of time to warm up -- Well, we get there at 8:30, I still had to buy my one day license and use the toilet ... I head over to the toilet line and the bell begins to ring ...no toilet for me and no warming up - About an hour into the race and I finally felt like I had warmed up and that I was ready to go - I stayed with the pack for just a few moments in the beginning and as soon as the climbing began me and a handful of girls got dropped. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. A few of us stayed together and I even passed someone on a descent (one of my better cycling skills) but she caught up within moments of reaching the bottom -- I tried to work together with the few that we were but I just couldn't keep up and eventually I was dropped all by myself :( I almost puked and thought about quiting, being in last(well, one girl got a flat so technically I wasn't last but that's a pretty sad reason to not finish last) and all ...who cares, right? But i kept reminding myself why I was there - It eventually felt just like a nice ride on a Sunday morning all by myself, new scenery and new challenges.

It took me the entire day to recover, I have never been in soo much pain in my entire life and I can't wait to do it again! My cyclers cough kept on into the later evening.

I need to get a heart rate monitor/cyclometer (I used to have one a few years back when I really didn't need it and now I need one and don't have one) -

Thanks for listening!

And thanks for all of the pre-race advice!!

Peace
Elizabeth Traver

2 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Flandria said...

You are very brave to have picked Mt. Hamilton as your first race! Congratulations on completing the race and really hanging tough to finish. Awesome!

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Caryne said...

Mt. Hamilton is baptism by fire! Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I say. Every other road race will be a holiday compared to Mt. Ham. I know from experience that when you are riding/racing well, it is a great race. On a bad day...well, it is a very very very very BAD race! Great job for your first RR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home